The movie Eat Pray Love follows the personal and spiritual journey of a woman through Rome, Mumbai and Bali when she finds herself at a crossroads in her life.
I haven’t seen the movie, or read a great deal about it so I can’t write this based on how I think the music fits in with the movie or evokes the emotional reaction aimed for in the movie.
I can say that the music on this soundtrack has a very touching and spiritual feel to it. It covers quite a large range of styles and some big names with hits from the 70’s by Neil Young and Marvin Gaye. There are also a couple of Eddie Vedder tracks that add a more contemporary feel though are quite different from his usual sound.
Before sitting to write this, and with the album playing, I did a bit of research and checked out the internet as I am unfamiliar with the movie.
All of what I read said that some of the best songs were omitted from the soundtrack which was a little disappointing, but it also said that listening along to the soundtrack took you right back to the scenes in the movie.
Some of the tracks on this soundtrack are not to my usual taste, which is no real surprise as there is such diversity present. I think in the context of the movie they would fit quite well and they all speak to me of travel and journeys through the soul.
Eat Pray Love Soundtrack Song List
1. Flight Attendant – Josh Rouse
2. Last Tango In Paris (Suite Pt. 2) – Gato Barbieri
3. Thank You (Fallettin Me Be Mice Elf Agin) – Sly & The Family Stone
4. Der Hölle Rache Kocht In Meinem Herzen from “Die Zauberflote (The Magic Flute)”
5. Heart of Gold – Neil Young
6. Kaliyugavaradana – U. Srinivas
7. The Long Road – Eddie Vedder, with Nusrat Fateh Ali Khan
8. Harvest Moon – Neil Young
9. Samba Da Bençáo – Bebél Gilberto
10. Wave – João Gilberto
11. Got To Give It Up (Part 1) – Marvin Gaye
12. ‘S Wonderful – João Gilberto
13. Better Days – Eddie Vedder
14. Attraversiamo – Dario Marianelli